Thursday, March 8, 2012

Rosewater Cardamom Cupcakes

Edible butterflies from Sugar Robot 
We need to have a moment of silence, because this is probably the last recipe in quite some time that I will be posting that contains refined sugar in it. Caleb and I are back on a strict no-sugar regime indefinitely. Actually, perhaps a shout of joy is more appropriate, because when I truly avoid sugar for a long period of time, I lose my food cravings. I lose those highs and lows that come from having sugar in my system. Best of all, I lose the emotional crashes that come along with it...I've learned that I easily feel depressed and anxious when I've been eating sugar.

Wow, with an endorsement like that, no one's going to WANT to try this next recipe!  Yikes.

For those that are still reading...I made these delicious cupcakes for my birthday party last weekend (yes, I threw my own birthday party...eh, it's a long story!) and have had several people ask for the recipe. So here ya go!

It took several tries to get this recipe just right, primarily because both cardamom and rosewater pack a BIG punch. Use a light hand with the rosewater!


Rosewater Cardamom Cupcakes
free of gluten, wheat, yeast, dairy, eggs, corn, soy, nuts



2 cups gluten-free oat flour
¾  cup organic evaporated cane juice (sugar)
¼ cup brown sugar
¼ cup coconut flour
1 tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. fine sea salt
¼ tsp. cardamom
1/3 cup melted coconut oil
1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
2-3 drops rosewater (no more than 1/8 tsp)
1 cup vanilla coconut milk


_______________________________________
Frosting:
½ cup Spectrum shortening
2 cups organic powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
2-3 drops rosewater
2 Tb. Coconut milk (add more if you want lighter frosting, less if you want it thick and dense)


1.       Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin tins with paper liners. Cute ones only, please! J
2.       Mix oat flour, sugar, coconut flour, baking soda, salt, and cardamom together in one bowl with a whisk.
3.       Mix oil, vinegar, and rosewater together in another bowl.
4.       Add oil mixture and coconut milk to the dry ingredients and blend well.
5.       Pour into lined muffin tins, fill about halfway full. I use an ice cream scoop for this…it is the most amazing tool for cupcake & muffin batter…I don’t know what I did without it!
6.       Bake at 350 for 20 minutes, or until the top springs back to the touch.
7.       Let them cool in the pan for a minute or two, then transfer to a wire rack to cool the rest of the way.
8.       To make the frosting: soften the shortening a bit first if necessary. Cream the shortening in the mixer, than add powdered sugar, vanilla, rosewater, and milk. Here’s where I do some tasting and testing as I go…some days it needs more milk, some days more powdered sugar. **Note: Rosewater is POTENT STUFF. I can’t tell you how many times I made this recipe with too much rosewater. A little goes a long way. When it’s just the right amount, you get a delicate, flowery flavor that is so unique.  


Linking up to gluten-free easily's Gluten Free Support Group

For more recipes and helpful links, like Whole & Free on Facebook!

2 comments:

  1. I made these cupcakes yesterday and they are nearly gone. These may be the best cupcakes I have ever eaten! No joke. This comes on the heels of a truly epic failure of rosewater cardamom doughnuts. I couldn't give up on the flavor combo, and I'm so glad I didn't. Thanks for creating this jewel. I'll need to keep coming up with good reasons to make them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am SO glad you liked them...that made my day! I am laughing about your epic failure of rosewater cardamom doughnuts, because I can totally relate! I had a single slice of the most amazing rosewater cardamom cake years ago, and it made me just a little obsessed with figuring out how to re-create that flavor combo. I've had more epic failures than you can count, and was SO tickled that I finally got these right! :-) Thanks for your comment!

      Delete

Thank you SO much for your comment! Have a fabulous day! :-)